Q: What does SKILL and TALENT have to do with physical health?
Excellence is not a skill, it is an attitude. Not being content with mediocrity – being disciplined to do ordinary things extraordinary well. Striving to be and do better and recognising that we are what we repeatedly do. It’s not about wanting to be ‘the’ best, but doing ‘your’ best.
“No matter how talented you are, your talent will fail you, if you’re not skilled. Skill is achieved through practice. Work hard and dedicate yourself to being better every single day.” Will Smith
Physical health is an outcome. It is the result of the choices we make, our behaviour, actions and ultimately our attitude. If we care enough about something, we act.
Dr John Berardi (PhD) at Precision Nutrition talks about breaking goals into skills and skills into practices. Practice daily to build skills. Build skills to achieve goals. Do this well and you can accomplish your goals more quickly (with less effort) and maintain your results. Here is PN’s ‘5 S Formula’ for breaking skills into practices:
– SIMPLE: “On a scale of 0-10, how confident do you feel you could do this practice every day for the next 2 weeks?” the answer should be a 9 or 10. Anything lower and the practice is too challenging or intimidating
– SEGMENTAL: Chunk bigger things into component parts.
– SEQUENTIAL: Do the right things in the right order and success is a reliable outcome.
– STRATEGIC: strategic practice addresses the thing that’s in your way right now
– SUPPORTED: Practices work best when they’re supported by some form of teaching, coaching, mentorship, and accountability.
“I fear not the man who has practised 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.” Bruce Lee
You see, improving the components of physical health (muscular strength, muscular endurance, cardiovascular fitness, flexibility and body composition) requires skills and developing skills requires the right attitude. Physiotherapy cannot “fix” you. Only YOU can fix you through behaviour, attitude, action and skill.
If your physical health isn’t what it should be and you have the right attitude to developing the necessary skills, we would love to support you through a simple, segmental, sequential, strategic program to help you reach your goals.
Don’t put off until tomorrow something you can do today because tomorrow never comes.